Community Life Director
The Community Builders, Inc. is the largest nonprofit urban housing developer in the United States. Our mission is to build strong communities where people of all incomes can achieve their fullest potential. We do this by developing, financing, and operating high quality affordable mixed-income housing, by coordinating access to support services, and by planning and implementing other community and economic initiatives critical to the communities we serve. Every employee who works for The Community Builders understands what it means to make a significant difference in the lives of others.
Reporting to the Vice President, Community Life, the Cincinnati Community Life Director is responsible for managing TCB’s relationships with local partner organizations to implement and provide oversight of the Community Life strategy in Cincinnati. A primary responsibility will be to lead TCB’s contributions to the HUD Avondale Choice Neighborhood award by coordinating efforts with the local People Partner, the Urban League of Greater Cincinnati. The Cincinnati Community Life Director will be based locally and will work closely with TCB’s Development and Property Management team leaders in Cincinnati to ensure that efforts are well coordinated internally and with external partners. S/he will serve as a “weaver” whose primary responsibility is to ensure that TCB’s efforts are well integrated across departments within the organization and conscientiously cultivated with external organizations locally, regionally, citywide, and statewide. S/he will be accountable for executing the Community Life strategy, including developing and managing all aspects of the Community Life plan with Property management, including the Regional Director of Operations, Resident Services Coordinator, Life Skills Coaches, the Urban League, and other relevant local partners to fulfill housing stabilization goals with residents and other community members. The Director will coordinate with TCB’s Development Project Associate to engage with partner organizations, local elected officials, private sector leaders, and others belonging to the Cincinnati Multifamily Consortium. The Community Life strategy will include completing a Fundamentals Plan and developing a Community Success Plan for TCB’s work with this Cincinnati portfolio. The successful Director will be responsible for program design and development, implementation, and evaluating impact.
- Managing the design, implementation, and execution of a Community Life plan that is well coordinated with strategies led by TCB’s Midwest Regional Development Project Manager and Regional Director of Operations
- Designing and implementing Community Life’s contributions to the HUD Avondale Choice Neighborhood award by coordinating with the Urban League of Greater Cincinnati as the lead People Partner and with local service providers as needed
- Providing oversight of contracts administered with local partners to fulfill terms of the Choice award (monitoring service delivery and compliance functions)
- Managing daily implementation of the Community Life plan by working with the Regional Director of Operations, Resident Services Coordinator, and Life Skills Coaches (to be hired) in Cincinnati
- Identifying and coordinating with new local partner organizations as needed to secure additional resources for carrying out a Community Life Plan
- Negotiating with leaders of partner organizations individually and collectively to design and implement the Community Life plan cross the Cincinnati portfolio
- Coordinating activities among local partners in Avondale, including the Urban League, ACDC, Cincinnati Public Schools, and others, as well as activities, opportunities, and supports to be leveraged with partners in other neighborhoods, including City West
- Convening partners and/or securing on-site support as needed to ensure that professional development, tools, technical assistance, and other resources are appropriate, available, and delivered in a timely, high quality manner
- Serving as an internal decision-maker responsible for adding the Community Life perspective alongside the Development Project Manager and Regional Director of Operations
- Monitoring progress of Resident Services Coordinator and Life Skills Coaches in fulfilling the Community Life Plan by reviewing progress, determining mid-course corrections in strategy, and reporting on issues that merit attention from TCB senior leaders
- Participating in professional development and training sessions conducted by TCB’s Community Life, Development, and other departments
- Monitoring progress with evaluators identified in the Choice Neighborhoods award, as well as through the Efforts-to-Outcomes ™ data system used by Community Life
- Reporting on progress and exercising authority as needed while managing Community Life activities to ensure that TCB staff members and partner organizations are held accountable for high quality performance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Entrepreneurial, creative with an interest in designing, growing, and monitoring programs to improve the quality of life for low-income residents
- Effective communicator: able to engage a wide range of stakeholders in multiple ways, including in writing, by hosting meetings with professionals and community members, and through newsletters
- Literate with technology and software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, data bases for tracking progress with programs, services, and clients)
- Strong writing skills and the ability to produce documents and reports that meet specified standards and timelines
- Entrepreneurial leadership style, creative with an interest in guiding an initiative through uncharted waters
- Ability to plan, organize, and facilitate a Community Life strategy by regularly hosing meetings with leaders of local, regional, and city-wide organizations, service providers, and residents
- Ability to identify resources, including sources of funding and information that would benefit residents by expanding networks opportunity for individuals and families
- Ability to lead and participate in multidisciplinary teams and meetings regarding, for example, social services or mental health supports
- Ability to maintain accurate records and to prepare regular reports on progress
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and be self-directed
- Ability to represent Cincinnati and The Community Builders in various venues to diverse stakeholders, and an ability to serve as a representative of senior management staff
- Ability to maintain positive relationships with a wide variety of people, including but not limited to: senior staff, volunteers, interns, community partners, organization donors, media
- Proven ability to make social networking connections between community residents, and use of coaching skills to help residents, such as active listening and a coaching approach, not a counseling approach
- Commitment to the mission The Community Builders, Inc. to build a community where people of all incomes can succeed and support each other toward their achievements
- Capable of working with minimal supervision and perform effectively under tight time deadlines
- Ideally a currently a resident of the Cincinnati area
Education & Experience:
- B.A. a minimum, ideally a graduate degree in social work, sociology, public policy, youth development and education, or a related field with 7+ years of overall professional experience
- Experience managing nonprofit partnerships and/or working with social service providers and community-based organizations on projects that require coordination among multiple agencies
- Experience with rental assisted housing and supportive services, addictions and working with families is preferred
- Should have experience working with organizations and agencies that serve the following groups: young offenders, people with mental health conditions, school non-attendees, drug and alcohol abusers, people with learning and physical disabilities, the elderly and unemployed
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The Community Builders, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.