Professional Level: Exempt
Organization: The Community Builders, Inc. (TCB)
The Community Builders, Inc. (TCB) is a mission-driven 501(c)(3) organization focused on building and sustaining strong communities. TCB has been planning, developing, and operating affordable and mixed income housing communities for over 40 years. With a current budget of $40 million and a staff of over 400 and experience developing and operating properties with a value of over $2 billion, it is the nation’s largest non-profit urban residential developer and operator. Our Ways & Means approach offers membership in a rich community life and invites interested adults and youth residents to create or participate in a wide variety of activities and opportunities to build a strong community and achieve their aspirations. TCB’s youth development mission is to partner with resident children, families and other organizations to create a community where it is possible to reach for dreams, grow in healthy and resilient ways, and graduate high school ready for postsecondary education completion, careers and life.
For more general information, please visit: www.tcbinc.org
Department: Community Life, Cascade Village, Akron, OH
Reporting To: Youth Development Manager
Primary Function: The Education Specialist coordinates afterschool and summer programming, increases child, youth and family engagement in education activities working collaboratively with parents/guardians, schools, community organizations and other partners to achieve TCB’s youth development mission.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- In partnership with parents/guardians and students, identify potential afterschool, summer and enrichment opportunities, develop appropriate agreements with partners.
- In applicable sites, provide instruction and coordinate the operations of afterschool and enrichment programs.
- Engage volunteers in school and education-related events and activities and coordinate their efforts, with particular emphasis on the development of activities initiated by parents/guardian or students.
- Ensure quality of all education programs.
- Develop effective communications with residents and staff about education and educational opportunities.
- Provide high quality and engaging information regarding child development and education to parents/guardians, including school choice procedures where applicable, and provide coaching and referrals when needed.
- Build partnerships with area schools to advance TCB’s youth development mission, including securing needed data, identifying school programs and other opportunities, and fostering effective parents/guardian involvement in their children’s school and educational success.
- Compile data and track student progress for program evaluation needs and provide any requested reporting in a timely manner.
- Support the fundraising and grant writing efforts of TCB.
- Create access to books, educational materials and media for all age groups and develop special events related to education and school.
- Assist in the development of and promotion of Kids’ Clubs.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications: Knowledge & Skills Required
The successful candidate must have:
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- A passion and commitment to education and education reform.
- Experience teaching or working in after-school and youth development programs.
- Upbeat attitude, high energy and ability to inspire others, including serving as a good role model for children.
- Enjoys working with adults, children and youth, and values partnering with residents to create opportunities for activities and services.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with site team members and members of other organizations.
- Innovative and experienced in successfully engaging students: exciting them about education, promoting high expectations and developing learning communities
- Basic data analysis and evaluation, including student assessments.
- Knowledge of the organizations and functioning of schools and districts and the ability to establish collaborative relationships.
- Familiarity with and knowledge of:
- Education requirements including special education.
- Developmental stages in children and young people.
- Standards-based curriculum and assessment.
- Positive behavioral interventions and supports.
- Current education reform efforts and initiatives.
- Cultural competency and responsiveness.
- Communication and conflict resolution skills.
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Clear background check.
Knowledge and Skills Preferred, But Not Required:
- Masters Degree or valid teaching certificate from an accredited college or university.
- Knowledge of effective teaching methods and curriculum development for elementary and middle school children
- Community organizing
- Second language
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds
- Must be able to work some evening and weekends
If you’re interested in joining our team, please send your resume to Jessica Russell, JRussell@tcbinc.org.
The Community Builders, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.