Real Estate Accountant
The Community Builders, Inc. is the largest nonprofit urban housing developer in the United States. Our mission is to build strong communities where people of all incomes can achieve their fullest potential. We do this by developing, financing, and operating high quality affordable mixed-income housing, by coordinating access to support services, and by planning and implementing other community and economic initiatives critical to the communities we serve. Every employee who works for The Community Builders understands what it means to make a significant difference in the lives of others.
Primary Purpose of Position:
Full cycle accounting role for a portfolio of properties requiring analyzing and reporting on all accounting matters. Serve as the financial expert and primary facilitator of all financial matters providing accurate and timely financial information to internal departments and external clients.
Reports To: Accounting Manager
- Manage, analyze and audit all aspects of the general ledger to ensure accuracy of transactions and investigate and resolve any and all discrepancies with property management staff, if necessary.
- Prepare and enter journal entries to the general ledger as needed.
- Review and update recurring journal entries on a monthly basis for accuracy prior to posting to general ledger.
- Analyze and prepare monthly GAAP financial statements, including all supporting schedules as required.
- Prepare all balance sheet and P&L reconciliation’s (i.e. monthly work papers, etc.).
- Performs daily and/or monthly cash management responsibilities, including wire transfers, cash projections and weekly priority selection of invoices.
- Monitor Security Deposit cash and all escrow accounts for proper funding and timely payment of invoices.
- Prepare monthly bank statement reconciliations and resolve all reconciling items in a timely manner.
- Review coding of invoices to fixed asset accounts to verify they are legitimate capital items.
- Provide revenue and expense variance explanations on a monthly basis for financial statement review.
- Perform analysis and complete financial reports and related schedules in accordance with lender, housing authority and/or third party requirements.
- Analyze and true up, on a monthly basis, all prepaid expenses and monthly operating accruals for assigned properties.
- Audit and ensure accuracy of various subsidiary reports and reconcile to general ledger, such as Rent Roll, AP Aging, Open Status Report, and Security Deposit Ledger for assigned portfolio.
- Serve as a resource and assist with preparation of portfolio annual budgets.
- Provide feedback for re-forecasting in conjunction with budget review.
- Work with Property Management Operations, Corporate, Legal, Asset Management, Development Accounting and Operations to obtain necessary information for the completion of financial statements.
- Prepare interim and annual audit work paper package for year-end external audits.
- Provide Project Managers, Portfolio Managers, Regional Managers and all TCB personnel and external clients with the highest level of service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting required.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of Residential Real Estate accounting experience. Previous accounting experience in affordable housing settings.
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in MS Excel required.
- Experience with Property Management accounting software necessary. MRI preferred.
- Proven organizational skills with ability to set priorities manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Self-starter capable of finding solutions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact with co-workers, site staff or vendors in an articulate, courteous and business-like manner at all times.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Adaptability to changing demands.
- Effective problem solving skills.
- Ability to multitask.
- Strong communication skills, written and oral, as well as solid interpersonal skills.
Please send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Community Builders, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.