Who We Are
The Community Builders, Inc. is one of the largest and most accomplished non-profit development corporations in the United States.
- Build and sustain strong communities where people of all incomes can achieve their full potential.
- Plan, finance, develop, and operate high-quality affordable housing.
- Coordinate access to support services and asset-building activities.
- Collaborate with neighborhood groups, residents, public and private agencies, and philanthropic interests to shape community and economic initiatives.
- Focus on meeting the needs of low-income people not effectively served by market forces.
- Transform large-scale distressed housing projects into anchors for revitalization efforts.
- Serve as a long-term stakeholder in the neighborhoods we help transform.
- Create effective local implementation teams that combine neighborhood understanding, technical skills, and managerial ability.
- 49-year track record of planning, developing, and managing high-quality affordable housing.
- 320 projects and 25,000 housing units completed in 15 states.
- 420,000 square feet of commercial/retail space developed.
- $2.5 billion in project financing assembled.
- $800 million in equity raised.
- 15 HOPE VI public housing transformations completed.
- Manage almost 9,000 units at over 100 properties in 14 states.
- Coordinate community initiatives at many of our large assisted and public housing sites.
- 2,000 residents placed in jobs and $16.7 million returned to communities through annual Earned Income Tax Credit/Asset Building (EITC/ABC) campaigns.
- Playing a leading role in assisted housing transformation via the Choice Neighborhoods, Section 8, Low Income Housing Tax Credit, and Neighborhood Stabilization programs.